This is your resource for answering the most common questions we hear about recycling on campus.

Q: How do I coordinate recycling at a special event on campus?

Visit our Contact Page to let us know you are interested in recycling at your event - we're here to help! You can also check out the Charleston County Special Events Recycling Program.

Q: What items go in the recycling bins?

The College uses a dual-stream system to sort its recyclable materials in all academic and administrative buildings on campus. One stream is for containers and the other stream is for mixed paper. Check out our A-Z recycling guide to find out what materials go in each bin. Single-stream bins (meaning all material can be mixed in together) are provided in the residence halls, dining facilities and in the outdoor recycling bins. 

Q: What happens to the materials after they are recycled?

After they are picked up by the city, recycled materials are sent to a Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) to be processed and sorted. 

Q: Do plastic and compostable cups go in the same bin? 

Plastic cups, as long as they are clean and food-free, should be included in the container recycling bins. Compostable cups and compostable utensils are NOT recyclable and should instead be dropped off at compost locations. 

Q: Is an item made of recycled materials necessarily recyclable?

Just because an item is made of recycled materials does not necessarily mean that it is recyclable. This is especially important to remember for plastics. Please check the A-Z recycling guide for what plastics can be recycled on campus and remember that many products containing plastics also contain other materials such as paper and metals, rendering it non-recyclable.